Monday, April 18, 2011

A Story of Gargantuan Proportions

Who doesn't enjoy the story of David and Goliath?  It's a true underdog story with a young boy pitted against a giant.  This story is even longer than the others I've posted, so you'll really have to just check out the full text here to get all of it.  I'll just be covering a few of my favorite sections.

I think the main reason I like this story is how easy it is for me to identify with David.  This is primarily due to David's size.  This may be difficult for those of you who have only known me for less than 10 years, but I used to be a very tiny person.  I was so small that my grandmother thought that I wasn't getting enough food to eat.  Growing up as such a small child and being surrounded by people so much bigger than me, hearing a story about the little conquering the big was, in a sense, a story of hope.

Another character trait that I love about David is his spirit.  David knew that he had a big task ahead of him, but instead of going out to meet Goliath with fear, he meets with these words:
‘You come to me with sword and spear and javelin; but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This very day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head; and I will give the dead bodies of the Philistine army this very day to the birds of the air and to the wild animals of the earth, so that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the Lord does not save by sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s and he will give you into our hand.’-1 Samuel 17:45-47
David, who was so small he couldn't even wear battle armor to go up against Goliath, was certain of victory at the hand of God.  Hopefully we can all find this confidence when we are going up against what seem to be insurmountable odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment