Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Today is the Day

Of the memories I have from seminary, there are a few that really stand out.  One of them is from the first three weeks.  I was sitting down at breakfast, making sure to get enough brain food to get me through my Hebrew class that morning.  In walks Samuel in a really nice suit.  As far as I knew, there was nothing special going on in our Hebrew class that day and there were no events planned at the seminary, so I asked Samuel why he was so dressed up.  He responded with, "Oh Christopher!  Today is the day that the Lord has made!"  That was it.  He decided to put on a suit and tie to come to breakfast and learn Hebrew all because it was a day the Lord had made.

Samuel was, of course, quoting the first half of Psalm 118:24.  The second half reads, "let us rejoice and be glad in it."  Many of us have heard time and again how being dressed up helps lift one's spirit.  There have certainly been days in my life where I've dressed up just to have that extra boost of confidence throughout the day.  I must say that it is definitely easier to rejoice when you are feeling good about yourself.

When is the last time that you dressed up just for the sake of dressing up?  I do not mean dressing up because you were going somewhere special or you have to follow some dress code.  I mean dressing up just to grab some breakfast and catch up with friends.  To be clear, I am not suggesting that you where a tux or prom-style dress to eat at First Watch.  I am merely inviting you to put on an outfit that is a cut above your normal "casual" attire and see if that adds a little boost to your day.  Whatever you do, remember that each day is a day made by the Lord.  Find some way to rejoice and be glad in them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment