Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Called

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about call stories in the Bible.  Particularly, Jeremiah's call has been standing out.
Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’
Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.’ But the Lord said to me,
‘Do not say, “I am only a boy”;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
says the Lord.’
Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,
‘Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.’
-Jeremiah 1:4-10
I used to think that this call story resonated with me so much because both Jeremiah and I were preparing to answer God's call at a young age.  The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that age is just an excuse.  The real fear is of being too inexperienced or not qualified enough.  There's nothing special about me.  What do I have to offer?  I get a sense that I'm not the only one to struggle with these thoughts.

Earlier this morning, I was talking with a friend from high school, and she said, "God doesn't call the anointed.  God anoints the called."  I have heard that saying many times before and have even said it a few times myself.  Today, however, this hit me in a whole new way.

Sometimes, when we find out exactly what it is to which God has called us, we realize that we are simply not prepared for the task.  God is calling us to these tasks, not because we are the best candidate, but so that God's glory may be made known in us.  How much more will God's glory be able to shine if the least likely of us are used to further God's purposes?

If you feel yourself hesitant to do what you feel God is calling you to in your life, do not say, "I can't.  I'm not the right person for the job."  Instead, go and do what God has called you to do, and do not be afraid, "for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment