Monday, March 21, 2011

Someone's You

Of all the things in this world, few have the power to affect my emotions the way that music does.  Some songs almost literally resonate within me, and I find that I cannot keep myself from moving along with the music.  I get caught up in the moment and, sometimes, lose sight of everything else around me.  For a brief period of time, it is as if the only things in existence are me and the song.  Of course, the most powerful of these moments for me are when that song helps me gain some perspective on my relationship with God.  As I was driving to my favorite lunch spot today, one of these songs came up on my iPod.

For a while now, my brother and I have "dabbled" at writing songs.  Back in August, he took that dabbling a step further when he released his first album, McArthur's Message.  The song that popped up on my iPod today was "Someone's You" from that cd.
Was a time when I
I was by myself
Was a time when I
Really thought I had no one

Was a time when these
These ivory keys
They were my strength
Now I know I have someone

That someone's You
There is so much more to this song, but I think this portion captures the essence best for a short quote.  The song is about moving from a time of feeling as though we are alone and have only ourselves to rely on into recognizing the presence of God in our life as a companion and source of strength.  The more I listen to this song, the more I hear echo's of the first 3 verses of Psalm 18:
I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
   my God, my rock in whom I take refuge,
   my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
   so I shall be saved from my enemies. 
I don't think that my brother was intentionally drawing on this Psalm when he wrote "Someone's You",  but I do think that both my brother and the psalmist were relaying the same message.  Sometimes, it may seem that everything in this life is going against you, but God will give you the strength you need.

If you find yourself struggling with anything, give it over to God.  Allow God's strength to be your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment