Friday, March 9, 2012

Why Do I Keep Forgetting?

I do this to myself a lot.  I'll find that there's a story locked in my head that's just aching to get out.  It's a pretty good story (in my head, at least), and I'll decide that I'm just going to go ahead and write it out.  This time, I'll actually do it.  I start off with a lot of energy, but then I remember something important that, for some reason, was not part of my decision making process.  I hate writing.

This is something that has plagued me for my whole life.  I have no idea why I keep forgetting this.  Perhaps I just get so overcome with wanting to get the story out that I plan on my excitement overcoming my hatred of writing.  Whatever the cause, this has left me with many partially written stories and ideas. Before I go any further, I'm going to acknowledge that I am writing about how I hate writing.  I appreciate the irony in this situation. 

I don't know why I hate writing.  Something about it has always been problematic for me.  I don't mean problematic in the sense that the quality of my writing is poor.  The problem lies more in the fact that getting the words from my head to the paper (or screen, as is usually the case) tends to take a significantly long period of time.  So, what do I do with this?

Writing is one of those areas in which I feel I need to grow (not necessarily in quality, as explained above).  For me, writing this blog is as much about personal growth as it is a spiritual discipline.  I'm hoping that I can learn to enjoy the writing process so that I can get more of the stories that are locked away in my head out.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll become a best-selling author sometime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment