Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'm sure you're all wearing green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (or you did on St. Patrick's Day if you're reading this at a later date).  My question to you is simple.  Why?

How many of you know anything about St. Patrick?  Aside from the obvious, of course.  We all know he was Irish, drove the snakes out of Ireland, and was signified by the color green.  Actually, he was British, there were no snakes to begin with, and his official color is blue.  These are the most common known "facts" about St. Patrick, and they're all false.  How did we get to this point where we started celebrating this man's life without really knowing anything about it?

My guess is that, over time, the legends associated with St. Patrick became exaggerated to the point that people forgot the truth.  I encourage you to take some time and watch the video I've posted below about St. Patrick.  I think you'll find that, without the exaggerated legends, there's plenty of reason to celebrate Patrick as a saint.  Hope you all have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment